Spring Into Storytime With Kildare Libraries
Join Kildare Libraries for Spring into Storytime at 2pm on our Facebook Page and at 2:30pm on our Instagram account every day including: Viking Storytime, with stories written and read by Leigh from Kilcock Library We will also add some of our storytime videos to this page too, so you can enjoy storytime even if you don’t have access to some of our other social media platforms.
Rua’s Tips For Reading Together
It’s never too early to start reading to your child…even from birth. A child who is read to will grow up loving books and wanting to learn to read.
Did you know that reading to your preschool child . . .develops their early literacy skills and helps them prepare for learning to read once they reach primary school helps them develop their listening skills and increase their attention span helps them develop an interest in books and to see reading as a fun activity gives them an opportunity to explore their ideas and feelings with you improves their social skills and their understanding of the world helps foster their creativity and curiosity is a special time for you both… and now Rua’s tips.
- Pick a time when you are not stressed or under pressure and find a comfortable and quiet
place to read together.
- Before you start to read talk about the title and the cover picture – ask your child what they think the story could be about?
- As you read, discuss the pictures and the story with your child. Put your finger under the words as you read to give your child the idea of linking words with sounds.
- Young children love to hear the same stories over and over. Encourage your child to say any of the lines they remember at the right time – this is an important first step for reading.
- To help them stay interested in books as they grow up, keep on reading aloud to your child as long you both enjoy it. Have fun Reading Together!