By Ann Kearney, Athy Library
- 1 medium egg
- 500g tub low fat natural yoghurt
- 2 yoghurt tubs Porridge Oats
- (Use the empty yoghurt pot to measure your oats)
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- A dessert spoon of treacle (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional: 100g of mixed seeds or chopped nuts (pumpkin, sunflower, chia seeds or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin.
- Place the yogurt, treacle and egg in a mixing bowl.
- Using the same empty yogurt tub, measure 2 tubs of Porridge Oats and add to the bowl with the bicarbonate of soda and the salt
- Add in the seeds/nuts at this point if using. Stir thoroughly
- Pour the mixture into your loaf tin. Cut a line down the centre.
- You can sprinkle pumpkin, sunflower or poppy seeds on top. Place in the oven and cook for approx. 50-60 mins.
- You can test that the bread is cooked all the way through by inserting a skewer.
- Leave to cool on wire rack wrapped in a clean tea towel.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe. Remember under the Government’s Keep Well Campaign – by nourishing your body and mind we can positively impact our physical and mental wellbeing. For more information check out our blog posts here and here or take a look at the Kildare County Council’s Keep Well page for the latest activities to help you Keep Well.