This recipe from Ann in Athy Library is easy to follow at home and makes delicious scones – the perfect accompaniment to tea and a good book, enjoy!
- 450g of self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100 g of butter
- 1 tablsp. honey
- 300ml buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 220C, Gas Mark 8.
- In a large bowl sift the flour, salt and baking powder, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Pour in the buttermilk and honey.
- Stir, bringing everything together into a dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead briefly, then roll out into a bout 2.5cm thick.
- Use a 7cm cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet line with baking prarchment.
- Brush the tops with milk/egg wash and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned on top.
- Serve warm with butter.