— great idea for a thoughtful handmade Christmas Gift, maybe!
(make a set of six in contrasting colours)
By Ann, Athy Library
Skill Level: Super Easy.
Size: to fit an average size egg.
Materials: DK or 4ply wool, colours of your
choice. 3.25mm needles. Wool sewing needle.
(oh, yes! ..and a fork.)
approx : Approximately
RS: right side
WS: wrong side
(make 1 in each colour.)
Cast on 16 stitches. Knit in garter stitch. (every row knit) for 52 rows.
Hint: If you slip the first stitch on each row it gives you a nice even edge.
Ending on a WS row. Cast off.
With RS together, sew side seams.
Turn RS out.
Make two small pompoms for each cosy in contrasting colours. Sew a pompom to the top of
each corner. (see below on how to make the pompoms.)
- Keeping the yarn attached to the ball, wrap it around a fork about 20 times.
Keep the wraps tight and center them in the middle of the fork, leaving space
at the top and bottom.
2. Cut the yarn and hold the wraps in place on the fork. Cut a 3in length of
yarn and thread it through the middle of the fork at the bottom from front to
3. Wrap one end around and back over the top until the ends meet then tie
them tightly together at the front. Wrap the tie around the center a few more
times and tie another knot at the back.
4. Pull the wrap off the fork and pull the knot tighter. The wrap will begin to curl and
turn flat and round. Tie another knot on top of the other one to secure it. Use sharp
scissors to cut the loops on either side of the tie.
5. Trim the pompom and fluff it up until it is thick and round, even shape.