Mary has created this useful tutorial for people to make cloth facemasks at home.
Materials needed :
2 pieces of cotton fabric 7″ x 9″
2 lengths of 7 inches of 1/4″ elastic
Thread, pins, scissors, sewing machine and iron
1. Pin the elastic 1/2″ from top and 1/2″ bottom of right side of fabric as in picture.
Do the same on the other side.
Pin the fabric right sides together.
2. Sew around entire edge, leaving a 2″ gap for turning, and trim the corners.
3. Turn right side out.
4. Press with iron. Create 3 pleats by: – a. Fold in half and press. b. Fold 2 quarters and press.
5. Measure less than half an inch from top, fold and pin.
Continue and measure half an inch from each fold. Do the same on the other side.
6. Top stitch around entire mask.
Note: In subsequent masks I added some interfacing so as to have an extra layer for added safety.
To do this, simply iron interfacing onto the wrong side of one of the pieces of fabric.
Here are some finished masks!